"Wherefore We must interrupt a silence which it would be criminal to prolong, that We may point out...as they really are, men who are badly disguised." Pope St. Pius X, September 8, 1907, Pascendi Dominici Gregis


Monday, October 8, 2012

An Open Letter to Whole Foods




Dear Mr. Walter Robb,

Year to date, I have spent $5021.91 at your store per my records kept by the Microsoft Money software program. That is more than 10% of my annual income. While I realize you are a business man and must make your decisions accordingly, I am writing to make you keenly aware that the same applies to me. I have happily spent this money in firm belief that I am supporting one of the last bastions of legitimate, sustainable and safe agriculture practices in our nation, if not our world. This belief is now dreadfully challenged through the GMO scandal the poor management of your company has brought to fruition (see http://www.infowars.com/nothing-artificial-ever-whole-foods-caught-in-gmo-marketing-deception-proof/ , amongst others).

As a consumer entirely opposed morally, philosophically, scientifically and economically to the monetary support and consumption of many GMO products, I am forced to reduce my spending at your store to send a message that those watching only your bottom line can understand: I will not shop at a store that presents itself as a safe place to eat but does not back up that promise with actions. I will shop at other organic stores and other local produce outlets that are cheaper, because you have failed to differentiate yourself from them. While I may in some circumstances continue to support your store, I will not do so with the pride I once had in being a “Whole” Foods customer, realizing now that the corn I may be consuming is not whole at all but violated with the genetic code of other living organisms.

If either your conscience or your bottom line are sufficiently bruised by the actions of me and other like-minded former customers, then these are the steps I would take to re-imbue your brand with the trust it deserves:

1)      Make a large donation to Proposition 37 in California.
2)      Announce a timeline requirement for all foods sold through Whole Foods to be labeled with their GMO content.
3)      Proactively educate Whole Foods employees and customers about the reality of genetically modified foods being sold throughout the stores.

Sincerely,

The author of Actual Anarchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment